Sunday, January 30, 2011

Which Standard....?

What standards do I think that I will struggle with the most?

That's easy at this point of the semester - "Content and Activity Selection" is where I am weakest. The issues of appropriate science content for me at this piont is a concern, because I have less experience in actual science than any other area I will be teaching in.

History of science? Love it.

Philisophical issues and social barrierers to the free study of science? Check.

Managing the learning process? Got it.

But the experience in what content is most appropriate, or applicable - and to what age group - that is a quandary for me right now. Not that I'm worried; I'm smart enough to know that I don't know everything. (And the more I learn, the more I realize that.) So I am ready to give it my best. We can't be afraid of learning.

That's what was so confounding to me about our class discussion(s) about the assessment and grading systems in this class. Hey, I want to protect my grade point as much as anyone else, but we shouldn't let fear of a different process for learning (and demonstrating that learning) keep us from a challenge. Why are we in college anyway? Hopefully to learn from different perspectives and views. The "same old-same old" in assessments and grading procedures would be boring.

But I digress. As to the standards, I am hoping to find the resources and the acumen to effectively teach and inspire my students in science, just as in every discipline. I look forward to the semester.

4 comments:

  1. One place elementary teachers are often at an advantage over secondary teachers is the selection of content. That is, elementary teachers more often select appropriate content, while secondary teachers tend to select their favorite content. Yet, figuring out what is appropriate is not always easy - as you astutely point out.

    Philosophy of science, history of science: a man after my own heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, I totally agree with you. Content and activity selection is very hard for elementary science teachers. I too am worried about this standard. I mean it is very hard for teachers to choose what is appropriate to teach students and if needed be able to differentiate in their classroom. I too look forward to learning more about this through out the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the standard I choose as well! And Michael brought up another part of choosing the appropriate content is how to differentiate that content for all students? Differentiation still scares me a bit, but as I continue to learn new ways of carrying that out, the more comfortable I will be with it when I have my own class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always David makes many great points. I really appreciated your perspective on the class discussion. I agree, lets worry less about our GPA and more about learning.

    I also agree about wanting to more about content and activities.

    ReplyDelete